MY NEW JOURNEY

July 17, 2014



Last week I had a very hard struggle about a lot of things going on in my life. I am so thankful for a friend and my husband who has allowed me to confide in them about somethings. It felt good to get things off my chest. I really didn't know how much was affecting me until I wrote it out and talked about it. With that being said one of my biggest struggle is my Hashimotos.

I have been dealing with this for over 12 years and it has truly been a struggle and has made a huge impact on my life. I have always considered myself a healthy eater. I mean, I won't lie, I am human and have cheated here and there. Last week I realized I have been trying different "diets" for over 12 years. I say "diets" because I eat healthy, but what I mean is cutting different foods out, only eating certain foods and what have you. It was so overwhelming to look at all the things I have tried and nothing has worked except one thing. Cutting gluten out and eating Paleo (well my version of it).

Then my best friend introduced me to crossfit about 3-4 years ago and I loved it. However, I wasn't getting the most out of it because I was doing what I could at home and its completely different when you go to a box. I just didn't have the money to go. And my husband and I joined a gym for $40 a month and did what I could there, but still I was missing something. Then we bought a rig at home and started having a group of people come over and do crossfit in our backyard and it still wasn't the same and I lost my mojo and motivation. And that all started when I lost 40 lbs and then out of nowhere gained 20 back in a month!!!! From doing nothing different, yes I said a MONTH!!! 
 Story of my freaking life. 

I can drop 30-40 lbs and then gain 20+ back due to my thyroid. It is very very frustrating and takes a toll on your mind and body. So last week I had it!! I want to be fit again. I want babies but I want to get in shape before I start a family. It's a personal choice because I don't want added stress on a baby and myself. So after breaking down to my wonderful husband I asked if we can just go check out one of our local crossfit facilities. I did my research of which one to check out and so we went. We were welcomed with open arms, invited back the following day for a party, and my husband signed us up that night.

Now that he is working and money isn't as tight plus it helped that the prices are more reasonable than other locations or other gyms he signed us up to help mend my pain. So many emotions were running through my mind. I was soooooooo excited and nervous. This was really happening. We signed up for the two week bomb basics class to learn proper form and how it all works. Today is our last class for week 1. I am one sore mother, but it feels so good at the same time. I am not the fastest, let me be frank, I finish last, but that doesn't matter. Our coach Joanie always says, "This is your workout. Go at the pace you feel you will get a good workout from. This is not a race and this isn't to see who is faster, stronger or better. This is for you and for you only. If it takes you 5 mins to do 10 burpees because you are concentrating on form, that is more important." Our coach is amazing. She is very experienced and doesn't make you feel intimidated, uncomfortable and cares about you as a person and for your body. She wants us to get the most out of it, but correctly and isn't afraid to record you on her phone if you aren't doing the forms properly and not listening to show how ridiculous you look.
(no it wasn't me)

A lot of people think crossfit is so intimidating. Unfortunately this is a misconception and I think it has that rep because there are a few facilities that are all about competition and only want individuals who are looking to compete to join. And that is sad because those handful of boxes give crossfit a bad rep. I am not going to lie, crossfit works you. It makes you dig deep inside yourself to find that inner lion and makes you roar a roar that you didn't know you have. You look at your WOD (work out of the day) and think oh Hell, I am going to die. Then 7-15 mins later you are laying on the ground catching your breath, but you realize you DID IT! And you may have cried, thrown up or even fell down, but you didn't give up. You finished what you started. Yes, you will be sore. Yes, you may not be able to move after or at your next WOD you may not be able to move as fast but as long as you are moving and you showed up you're ahead of the game. No judgement.

Some people get a little taken back at the price to join crossfit. Let me explain something about this. At a time we honestly couldn't afford it we could only afford $40 a month and that got us a membership to a local gym. So we made use of what we had. However I looked into a personal trainer and it was anywhere between $120-$400 for 4-6 sessions with a trainer. I about died. If I was going to pay $120+ for a trainer I better get more than 4-6 sessions. With crossfit, you get what you pay for. You get a trainer with at all times, you have a daily schedule that includes a warm-up, skill and  WOD for you. You have someone to push and encourage you the entire time. Yes it isn't one on one time but you still get that in a sense with a group class. The trainers really watch you and will help correct and assist you. Not to mention when you look at their packages for classes it makes more sense and the fact we could afford it now would be crazy to not join.

So week one is almost over and I am sore but I feel amazing. Muscles that I haven't worked are being worked. Yes I yell when I have to sit down cause my legs feel like jello and I can feel every freaking muscle that has been worked. However, pain is gain and I am excited to see how this is going to change my body more so than doing it at home and on my own.

With that being said, go pay $15 to drop into a class and check it out. Ya, you will get worked but oh it will feel so good.

And anyone I mean anyone can do crossfit. You can have no fitness background, be pregnant or have one limb. This is for anyone and everyone and they help, teach, assist, push and encourage you along the way. Get that misconception out of your mind and don't judge until you have tried it. 

I am so happy to be apart of Crossfit San Leandro. If you are in the area go check them out. If you are in the Sacramento area go check out Crossfit Direction. Two facilities that take pride in what they do but are truly a family and very welcoming. Tell them Bryan and Stevilynn sent you! 

♥ XO{ST}

1 comment :

  1. I second all of this! Very well written. I'm so proud of you. Keep up the great work. 143

    ReplyDelete